Q & A
What Causes My skin to Age?
- Unwanted skin changes, such as wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, and loss of elasticity, are inevitable signs of aging (sorry, it’s true.)
- Sun damage, also known as photo-damage or aging, can cause physical and structural changes to our skin, which lead to age spots, fine lines, wrinkles, visible capillaries and sagging.
- Every day living exposes our protective skin barrier to harmful environmental elements that create chronic inflammatory factors. When these factors go untreated, the damaging cycle intensifies.
- It can take 5 to 20 years later to see the visible signs of aging.
What are wrinkles?
- Wrinkles begin to occur as collagen breaks down with age.
- One of the most powerful functions of vitamin C is its role in the production of collagen, a protein that gives your skin its elasticity.
- Stabilizing your skin’s levels of vitamin C can help to counteract wrinkle formation by increasing collagen production.
- Skinceuticals Vitamin C+E Ferulic is an excellent product to help prevent wrinkles.
What is Vitamin C, how is it special?
- Vitamin C is critical for your body and plays an essential role in maintaining healthy, resilient skin.
- While young skin is full of vitamin C, aging skin naturally loses this nutrient over time.
- Factors like exposure to UV light, pollutants and cigarette smoke compound the decline of vitamin C, contributing to signs of aging.
- The good news is that you can fight back by replenishing your skin’s vitamin C levels to help to combat and even reverse time’s effect on your skin.
- Skinceuticals Vitamin C+E Ferulic, eating foods rich in vitamin C, or taking supplements is beneficial to your health help significantly. ,Applying vitamin C to the skin can be 20 times more effective than taking it orally.
What are cosmesceuticals?
- Cosmeceuticals are scientifically produced products, which contain biologically active ingredients that have proven clinical benefits.
- When applied topically, these active ingredients are able to reach the deeper dermal layers of skin, allowing them to make noticeable changes in the skin.
- These changes can include reducing acne severity, hydrating the skin, diminishing the appearance of ageing and sun damage, and promoting a healthy, radiant complexion.
- Flawless carries the NeoCutis line that is a medical grade anti-aging line that promotes collagen production.
How do cosmeceuticals differ from prescription skin care products?
- The ingredients in cosmeceuticals are stronger than your cosmetic-grade skin care products, but not as strong as pharmaceutical products.
- They do not require a medical prescription to dispense, and can be used regularly on the skin.
- Pharmaceutical products are usually used over a short-term period and can be very reactive, so they need to be controlled and the dispense limited.
How do cosmeceuticals differ from the products sold at the Departments Store or Sephora?
- The main difference between cosmeceuticals and over-the-counter cosmetics is the concentration of active ingredients.
- Cosmeceuticals contain many more active ingredients and in much higher concentrations.
- These active ingredients can therefore penetrate deeper into the dermis layer of the skin, which results in more visible, longer-term benefits.
- The FDA regulates what can be sold over-the-counter (OTC) at drugstores/discount stores, department stores, and spas/salons, versus what is available through a physician’s office.
- Medical grade products contain more concentrated levels of active ingredients such as antioxidants, peptides, and cell repair ingredients.
- The ability of medical grade skin care products to produce such great results has to do with the products and ingredients ability to penetrate the top layer of skin.
- Legally, over the counter skin care products cannot penetrate past the epidermis.
- Many medical grade products work at the dermis (or middle layer of the skin) where collagen and elastin are contained and the basal (or bottom layer of the skin) where new skin cells are produced.
What are proteins and how do they help skin rejuvenation?
- 20% of the human body is made up of protein.
- Proteins play a crucial role in almost all biological processes.
- A large proportion of our cells, muscles and tissue is made up of amino acids, meaning they carry out many important bodily functions, such as giving cells their structure.
- One important protein in our skin is collagen.
What are Amino Acids how do they help with skin rejuvenation?
- Amino acids are the building blocks of Proteins (like individual legos that make up a structure)
- Amino Acids also play a key role in transporting and storing nutrients.
- Amino acids are essential for healing wounds and repairing tissue, especially in skin.
- As skin ages – it need repair and amino acids are key to helping it regenerate.
- Amino Acids also remove of all kinds of waste deposits produced in connection with the metabolism.
What are Peptides how do they help with Skin Rejuvenation?
- For someone who is looking for the best anti-aging ingredients on the skin care market, peptides are top priority.
- Peptides are chains of amino acids that are the building blocks of proteins in the skin.
- One important protein in our skin is collagen.
- When peptides form a long chain of amino acids, they become proteins.
- When they are in a short chain of amino acids, they are able to penetrate the top layer of our skin and send signals to our cells to let them know how to function.
- Skin care products containing these ingredients are meant to stimulate the cell rejuvenation process and even stimulate collagen production. Therefore, products with these chains of amino acids are generally considered to be anti aging in nature. I
- It is important to note that the use of peptide for skin care products will not yield results overnight, but daily application may show improvements over time.
How and when do you apply Peptides?
- For the most part, peptides take time to work.
- Peptides are best applied in serums or creams for a long period of time.
- You can start to see results in four to 12 weeks.
- Keep in mind that upkeep is so important with peptides. Once you stop using them, you will notice the difference.
Why Do We Lose Collagen?
- The Collagen in the skin tends to decline with age.
- A child’s skin has a lot of collagen III, the type is common in fast growing tissues.
- The abundance of the type III collagen is partly responsible for the softness of the young skin.
- As the body growth slows down, the skin content of type III collagen declines, while that of type I increases.
- The Body continues to develop type I collagen until about the age of 35, when the skin reaches the peak of its mechanical strength.
- By 60, all types of collagen are significantly below their youthful levels.
What Is Collagen and how does it help Skin Rejuvenation?
- Collagen, makes up 75% of the skin and is crucial for the appearance of youthfulness; this naturally occurring substance makes the skin strong, plump and smooth.
- Collagen is a Protein
- Collagen gives our skin its thickness and suppleness.
- When collagen breaks down in the skin (from age and environmental factors like the sun and stress), wrinkles form
- Peptides applied topically to the skin can send a signal to collagen to prompt the formation of new collagen, and voila, you have the appearance of more youthful, supple skin.
- Our NeoCutis Line is unique because it has Growth Factors that help produce collagen in almost every product.
What are Human Growth Factors?
- Human Growth Factors stimulate pathways that promote skin tissue repair and regeneration.
- They promote the formation of collagen and elastic fibers, which give the skin its softness and suppleness.
- The Interaction of growth factors with other proteins in epidermis and dermis results in skin repair and regeneration.
What makes NeoCutis Different?
- NeoCutis products were originally designed to promote scarless wound healing.
- These products focus on maintaining high levels of protein in the skin.
- NeoCutis products nourish aged skin the same way that wounded skin is treated.
- Many NeoCutis products focus on anti-aging and restoring a youthful appearance to the face by hydrating the skin and reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
- It is believed that aged skin has the same basic needs as wounded skin; growth must be stimulated and managed to achieve the desired results.
- NeoCutis provides these growth factors, along with cytokines and antioxidants through a mixture called PSP®, or “Processed Skin Cell Proteins.”
- The following is true for all their products
- Dermatologist tested
- Free of color additives and fragrances
- Not tested on animals.
- Can be used on All skin types:
What’s behind a tan?
- We want to be straight with you – there really is no safe way to tan.
- When the skin feels direct sun exposure, it screams “HELP!”
- In scientific terms, this means ultraviolet light is penetrating the epidermis causing the skin to react by producing melanin, aka your suntan.
- In your mind, a tan may give you that young, healthy glow, but over time it causes just the opposite: a change in skin texture, wrinkling, age spots or worse – the big C (Cancer).
- Flawless carries the Elta line which is an affordable sunscreen that will not cause breakouts.
What are UVA + UVB Rays?
- The sunlight that reaches us is made up of two types of harmful rays:
- UVA – Long wave ultraviolet A
- UVB – Short wave ultraviolet B
- Basically, UVA rays can age us and UVB rays can burn us.
- Overexposure to either can damage the skin.
What is SPF?
- SPF stands for sun protection factor.
- Sunscreens are classified by an SPF number which refers to their ability to deflect UVB rays.
- SPF rating is calculated by comparing the amount of time needed to burn sunscreen-protected skin vs. unprotected skin.
- So if a person who might typically burn after 10 minutes in the sun puts on SPF 2, they have double that time before a sunburn, so 20 minutes.
- Skin protected with SPF 15 would take 15 times longer, or 150 minutes for a sunburn to occur.
- Keep in mind though, the increase from 20 to 45 level SPF provides only 2.8% more UV protection.